BEST Rules 2014
Some generic rules remain consistent from year to year, but in general, the official rules for each game are different. Teams must be aware of the rules for each current game. Do not assume that the rules for last year's game will or will not apply to this year's game.
With that in mind, there are some general guidelines that will probably remain consistent over time.
- Students may only use items available in the Consumables Kit, Returnables Kit, and optional items list (attached to Consumables Kit listing) to build their robots. Robots found to use items not available in the above kits will be disqualified from competition.
- Items in the Consumables Kit may be cut, shaped, glued, painted, bolted, nailed, or otherwise modified or utilized in compliance with all the Generic Rules and Game Specific Rules for each year's competition. These items are "consumable" in the sense that they belong to the respective BEST robotics teams and do not have to be returned to the hub that provided them. Teams do not have to utilize all of the items in the consumable kit, but they can utilize as many of the materials as they like as long as the robot submitted for competition complies with the weight and size requirements for that year's game.
- Items in the Returnables Kit may not be modified in any way, with the exception of loading original programs into the robot controller. These items are "returnable" in the sense that they must be returned in like-new condition to the hub that provided them. Teams are accountable for any items missing from their returned kits. For example, the total cost of the returnables kit for the 2012 game was estimated at $1000.
- All submitted robots must comply to weight and size limits as defined in the game-specific rules for each year's competition.
- Any special parts (gears, wheel-adapters, or other sub-assemblies) must be designed by students on the BEST robotics team and made with materials in the Consumables Kit, Returnables Kit, or optional items list. Specific rules for what types of items can be milled or machined for the BEST robotics competition will be laid out in each year's specific game rules.
- All questions regarding the rules should be posted on the official BEST Robotics Q&A for that year's game. This should be available on or after the kickoff date each year. For 2014, the Big Country BEST kick-off is scheduled for Saturday, September 13, 2014.